21 June 2012: To celebrate the completion of upgrades and enhancements to Docklands Light Railway (DLR) services, here are some fun facts about the network:
- A three-car DLR train can carry 660 people, which is equivalent to eight double-decker buses
- DLR is the UK’s heaviest-used light rail system, carrying more than 80 million passengers per year – more than 10 times the population of London
- The DLR is the only driver-less train in the UK where you can ‘ride in the front’
- The DLR has 40 km of track, which is more than 120 times as long as the height of the Shard
- The DLR has 45 stations, which is exactly one-sixth of the amount of stations in the London underground
- The speed of a DLR train is 80kmp/h which is more than half the speed of the Stealth rollercoaster at Thorpe Park, Surrey (The fastest rollercoaster in the UK!)
A lot of work has gone on behind the scenes to improve the quality and reliability of the DLR to serve more than 165,000 people working within 10 minutes’ walk of DLR – this is more than double the amount of people it will take to fill London’s Olympic Stadium!
Docklands Light Railway (DLR) is pleased to announce the completion of their £850 million project of upgrades and extensions in preparation for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
There are so many great things going on in 2012 with the London Olympic and Paralympic Games and a whole heap of exciting cultural and community events…it is even the DLR’s 25th birthday! To celebrate, the DLR is offering a great prize draw with seven amazing party packs to give away – one for each month from now until December. Each party pack will include an iPod docking station*, camcorder and everything from party plates to party poppers.
Visit www.dlr.co.uk/2012 for details on how to enter, or any further information.
*iPod not included
ABOUT DOCKLANDS LIGHT RAILWAY
Docklands Light Railway (DLR) is an award winning light rail service transporting local residents, commuters and visitors from the City, across Docklands to East and South East London. The fully accessible network operates across 45 stations and 37km of track. Serco Docklands operates the DLR under a franchise agreement with Docklands Light Railway Limited.
Issued by Flagship Consulting
For further media information please contact:
Will Brewster 020 7886 8461 firstname.lastname@example.org
Lewis Shields 020 7886 8449 email@example.com
Ellie Swift 020 7886 8459 firstname.lastname@example.org